The following Pai Gow Poker tutorial will cover the following areas:
- How to play your hand.
- Protocol and etiquette.
- Pai Gow Poker Hand rankings.
- Resolution of the player’s hand.
How to play your hand:
In this part of the Pai Gow Poker tutorial, we will discuss how a player can play his or her hand during a game:
Each player must arrange their seven card decks into two separate hands. These hands are the five-card hand and the two-card hand. The five card hand must have an equal or higher value than the two-card hand. The five-card hand is typically known as the “back hand” because it is place on the back rectangle. The rectangle is marked “High” or “Highest.” the two-card hand is called the “front hand” because it goes on the front rectangle which is marked “2nd Highest”.
Five0cards hands are ranked and evaluated in the same way as traditional poker hands. The two-card hand has a traditional poker rank as well but it can only be one of two rankings. A pair or a high-card is the only rankings a two-card hand may have. The highest possible two-card hand would be two aces.
Standard knowledge of poker will allow you to determine the value of your hand. There is only one joker in the deck. The joker can only be used as an ace or to complete a flush r a straight flush. The joker can only replace the highest ranking card to fill these hands.
The value the joker assumes will differ from the cards you already have in your flush or straight flush. The one rule that most players forget is that the joker never forms pairs, three of a kind, four of a kind or five of a kind with a value other than an ace.
This exception to traditional poker is used most of the casinos but not all of them. It would be wise to verify the rule when you sit down. It could make a difference.
Protocol and etiquette.
In this part of the Pai Gow Poker tutorial, we will give some information on the basic etiquette and protocol that must be followed when you are playing a game:
The Pai Gow Poker rules of etiquette are put into place to prevent players from cheating or gaining an “edge” on the house.
The following etiquette rules will apply:
- When two hands are placed face-down in their appropriate areas on the table, the player will not be allowed to use the hands.
- If the second-highest hand is stronger than the highest-hand, it is considered to be a fouled and the player will lose his or her bet.
- Do not hesitate to ask for advise from the dealer. He would give it based on the “House Ways” or “House Rules”.
- If you play more than one player position on the table, the first hand must belong th area with the largest of your bets.
- Your seven cards must be in full view of the dealer at all times.
Pai Gow Poker Hand Rankings
- Five aces (including the joker).
- Royal flush.
- Straight Flush.
- Four of a kind.
- Full house.
- Three of a kind.
- Two pair.
- One pair.
- High Card
Your five-card hand must be equal or higher in value than your two-card hand.
Resolution of the player’s hand.
After all the players have set their hands, the banker will turn his cards over and set his own hands. The dealer will always set his hands by following the “House ways” or “House Rules”. These guidelines will dictate how the dealer creates his two hands and he will have no other options.
The players’ hands are turned over one at a time by the dealer and it will be compared to the banker’s hands. If a player has exactly the same hand, it is called a “copy”. Please note that all copies are considered won by the banker.
There are three results to a showdown between a player and a banker.
- Both of the player’s hands beat both of the banker’s hands in ranking. This will win more money than the other outcomes but there is usually a 50% commission that is collected.
- Both of the banker’s hands wins the player’s hands. A tie between hands are also considered a loss. All of the player’s bets will be collected.
- A single hand is won by the player and the banker simultaneously. It is regarded as a push and no money is exchanged.
The commission on winning wagers must be paid immediately. A player may put it out next to his bet or the dealer will subtract it from the payout.