What is video poker?
Video poker is a casino game which is based on five-card draw poker. It is played on a computer console similar in size to a slot machine.
How is video poker played?
Most of the video poker machines are based on the classic poker game of five-card draw. You are dealt five random cards from a 52-card deck or a 53-card deck (if you are playing a machine which uses a joker). There is one opportunity to improve your hand by “drawing” cards. You decide which of the 5 card you want to keep. The cards you discarded will be replaced by random cards.
Remember that video poker uses the same rankings of poker hands. It should not be confused with real poker.
In video poker, your success is dependent on the pay table of the machine you have chosen.
Basic strategy and smarts for playing video poker
There are three basic things you need to do in order to understand video poker.
- You must be able to read the pay table and you should know which ones offer the highest payback.
- You must know what strategy to use at which machine you want to use.
- You must know about the effect the machine will have on your bankroll.
How do you understand the machine?
The game of video poker is not about the probability of success but the amount of knowledge the player possesses. If the player has more knowledge about the game then the house edge decreases.
The two main skills you require will be:
- Proper machine selection.
- Knowing the proper strategy for the machine you’re playing.